Saturday, August 4, 2012

Team Spirit

Team spirit encompasses the very being and working together of the participants in the Olympics, or any sport made up of teams for that matter. And without it teams aren't very effective. Spirit is the vital principle or animating force within all living things, the immaterial part of a person, often called the soul. We hear the phrase, "he played with all his heart and soul." It is also the overall disposition or mood of a  person, his temperament and energy which enlivens him.This spiritedness, or the quality of being active, alive, and vigorous is what helps contestants perform the activities of their sport. But more than this, it is the state of a person's emotions, a fundamental or activating principle determining one's moral and ethical actions and reactions that happen when people work together toward an end goal. These actions account for the ability to work together, cheer each other on, and be good sports. Shawn Johnson, a four time Olympic gymnast winner is an example of someone who showed spirit at the Olympic Games this year. Earlier this year she had this to say, "In 2008 I didn't take it all in enough. I was so wrapped up in the competition that I missed what was going on around me. If I am given that opportunity again to go to the Olympics and be an athlete I want to take it all in because I feel this is my last shot at it and I want to feel the team spirit. I want to really live and breathe the USA." Shawn Johnson did not have that last shot in the way she envisioned. She was forced to retire in June of this year before the Olympics because of knee surgery due to a skiing accident. Her knee couldn't take the rigorous training. However, Shawn showed team spirit in practice, and after she retired she was determined to support and help others make the team. About the 2012 Olympic team, Shawn said, "I have had the honor to train and complete with them, and am excited to join the gymnastics family and fans in cheering on my girls and the USA. So, in a way, she had her last shot at the Olympics, however, as a spectator and fan rather than a contestant.

No comments:

Post a Comment