Thursday, January 26, 2012

Do you Take Things Personally?

Last night I wrote about being your own unique self, marching to the beat of your own drummer. Tonight I want to ask if you take things personally, because I do.  As much as I would  like to think I say, do and act according to who I know (or think) myself to be, or the image I want to project, there is a part of me that wonders if I will be accepted.  As I get older being accepted is not as important as it used to be, but who doesn't want to be liked and approved of.  However, if we are indeed marching to our own drum and to thine own self being true, then we can't set expectations that everyone will like everything we say, do and how we behave.  But then we need to remember that we can't perceive to know what others think anyway.    If our ego wasn't in there waiting to be recognized we probably wouldn't care what people think of us.  Human beings are so all about them, aren't they?  Have you ever known a red fox to worry about other animals thinking he is too flamboyant with his beautiful red coat, or for that matter, a grey fox envying a red one.  It is not only freeing to not be concerned about our impact on someone, it becomes so much less "all about me."

No comments:

Post a Comment