Monday, February 6, 2012

Escape

I hesitate using this title for my blog, but I can't think of another way to describe exactly what I want to say.  I suppose the way I am using it is more of as a "retreat from." At any rate, I just got up from a nap with my kitty, Joey.  I am recovering from surgery and it was a long day. I just needed to have some time for renwal. In one of my previous blogs I wrote about silence. I mentioned that people in today's world seem to be uncomfortable in silence.  On the other hand, I think in this century we are so bombarded by technology, the media, work and really just each other, that we become overwhelmed by stimuli.  We may go on overdrive, but most often than not we just withdraw and try and find a means to get away.  When there is silence or too much stimulus (by the way these are opposites) often we find that we feel a need to escape from what is going on or retreat.  There are two different means to get away from something:  one is to do something silently, another is to seek more stimuli.  Examples of being more stimulated are T.V., dancing, and playing sports and exercising.  However, if getting away from being stimulated is the desired goal, silent escapes would be reading, praying, meditation, resting and taking a hot bath.  Escape can be healthy or unhealthy, and ultimately we do what we are comfortable with and what makes us feel good. However, pulling our covers over our heads and not being able to face the day is a lot different than napping to get more energy to continue to do something we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment